Re: [Dog_Nutrition] Rocky is favoring a hind leg




>He climbed onto his futon for a nap and when he got up he was holding up a hind leg. What could this be?

It looks like knee/joint is hurting him. It happened to my dog (Corgi) 3 years ago too. At her age of mere 1 years old,she suddenly started limping and,we took her to vet for check the kneee.THe vet told us to keep an eye on her for 1 week and if not changing anything,bring her back,so we did.

Second trip, my dog sometimes holding leg like you describe so,my vet tried manipulate the knee to see if any movements hurts her.At one point,she tried nip my vet with screaching sound.It definitely hurting for her.

Later the day,the vet took X-ray of knee.And told me that she looked like ligament tore and showed abnormal knee movement called "Drawers syndrome".

So,we went to ortho vet. The special ortho vet also agree to my local vet diagnose so,we discussed how she can fix the prob.One thing she told us was that since she is smaller dog,she will check if patella (spelling ok?? It is a knee cap) is sliding or not.

After that,we were so worried and read a lot about TPLO surgery to thread surgery that does not require screws and metals in her body..

We then ended up setting appointment for non screws/metals method and my dog went under surgery.

She called on the day and told us that her ligament was not tore at all,knee cap was fine,and all she did was opened up her leg and closed up doing nothing.... So, after the surgery,upper leveled vet tried talked to us about it but still,he had no idea what caused limping problems.

He suggested to try swimming pool tread mill thing as rehab,but we did not see a point without knowing what really causing it so,we stopped going to see the vet.

So,after surgery,6-8 weeks later of restricted activity,she healed up the surgery area but,still limping continued.

That is where I read about glucosamin and I gave her the joint care tablet for 1 week and,she became limp free and she still is.

I gave her this tablet because I remembered our local vet was telling us that she had possible arthritis by looking at X-ray.

I am not sure if just restricted activity and give joint care fixed the limping problems without going through not so pleasant surgery experience.

Palette had to feel pain for 6-8 weeks with perfect ligament...

She likes running like a wind,and we sometimes race to our house when walking, and she is quite active. But some habits stay with her;when she goes for potty for pee,she put weight more on surgery-free leg. I have been watching her gait now and then,so I know she puts equal weights on hind legs when walking but when she pees..the habit comes back and make me wonder what really was a cause.

I think visiting a vet is good idea and if you can,until your dog stop showing of pain,maybe refrain from going for walk and jumping will be better.

I hope your dog get better soon....

yassy
http://blog.yassysgdk.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: